It’s already the end of the year, somehow.
I can’t decide whether I’m excited, disappointed, or confused – but I think it’s the latter. This whole year has just been a whirlwind of school, a pandemic, emotions – and books!
I’m super super SUPER excited to be filling out the End Of Year Book Survey today, created by The Perpetual Page Turner a few years ago – but it’s my first time! I’ve had so much fun going through all my reads and answering the questions I want to, and end of year posts are so fun!!!!!
Also!!! I… do realise I’ve not posted for a while. Maybe this is just how blogging will be from now on? It’s more likely that I took forever on this 2.4k word post with extensive formatting….. and my next post is also taking a very long time. I’d really appreciate if you could boost this post in any way you can, or show it some love in the comments!! I hope you all have a wonderful end of 2020 and new year, and thank you all for sticking by me xxxx
Number Of Books You Read: 119 currently…. but if I read one book today (which I’m planning on) then I can make my goal of 120 books in 2020!!!
Number of Re-Reads: 25!! It’s 20.83% in total… which is not great but they got me through the year so I’ll take it aaaaahh
Average Rating (incl. rereads): 3.8/5
- The Weight Of The Stars is my favourite read of 2020 I think!! It’s such a perfect book and the prose is gorgeous… not to mention the romance, oh my god the romance. Ryann and Alexandria make me want to cry just thinking about them, aaaaaAaaaaAaAAHhHHhhhhhHHhHh. I definitely didn’t think it was going to be this good even after I finished, but it’s stuck with me – and it’s definitely my top novel.
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is easily second. It’s such a powerful novel and while you can’t help but admire Evelyn, she’s such a morally grey character it also makes me insane!!! I also cried reading this, around the ‘it’s time for [redacted] to go home.’ scene. I’ve read it twice this year and it’s just AMAZING.
- Speaking of amazing, The King’s Men can represent the entire AFTG trilogy, which as most of you will know, I became obsessed with this year. I think the books are trash but I’m still such a sucker for them. My second time in August I buddy read with a friend…. I think she cried as much as I did (although she will never admit it.)
- Darius the Great Deserves Better is such a recent read – I finished it on the 16th of December – but it was so good. I cried so much throughout, and immediately upon finishing knew it would be a new all time favourite – and a definite 2020 one.
- The Gilded Wolves isn’t a book I originally thought would make the top five, but it definitely has!!! The sequel just cemented my love for it, and after not being able to stop thinking about it (and after not being able to stop going feral over those last lines from TSS) I’ve decided to put it on this list.
These are all on my favourites of 2020 list too!! I love them all so much and I truly think they should be read by everyone… so read them. (Or else.) Summer of Salt is probably above too!!!! They go in order of favouritism from left to right hehe.
*Love From A to Z was also originally on this list, but the columns were coming out a little too small for my liking, and after rereading a physical copy I loved it a little less than the audiobook ❤ I also don’t know why The Electric Heir isn’t on here?? I loved it a lot??? Plus, These Violent Delights I finished the day before this post goes up, and I adored that.
These…. were all awful. The Memory Book was by far the worst… I hate it so so much. Everything about it. I want to reread it JUST to write an accurate rant review but I cannot do that to myself.
The rest were just pretty meh and forgettable!! Juniper Lemon and Made You Up were just reads I picked up on a whim to take to the beach last January and I didn’t love them (unsurprisingly.) Lies My Girlfriend Told Me was ANOTHER summer beach read and while I didn’t expect it to be gay it was still,,, not very good. This One Summer I talk about next and it was definitely better than the others on the list…. but not much.
THUG and TSOA were still good!!! I just… wish I’d loved them more. Everyone raves about them but I didn’t entirely get all the hype. This One Summer… well, my cousin recommended it to me last Christmas and when I finally got to it I had high hopes!!! They… weren’t met, unfortunately. Solitaire I was expecting to adore since Heartstopper (set in the same universe and about the MC’s brother!) is the only webcomic I read and while I think I’d enjoy it more if I read it now, I didn’t *love* it.
MOST SURPRISING BOOKS
These were all much better than I was expecting!!! I’d highly recommend checking them out.
BOOK I SHOULD HAVE READ SOONER
Am I including this section for only one book? Yes.
You were ALL right about Percy Jackson, I’m sorry. It was great. I should have read it when I was younger. I should have. You were all right and while I’m throughly invested now, it took me far too long. I regret everything. 🥺🥺
(Heroes of Olympus is slightly less good in my opinion… but it still comes under this prompt hehe.)
BOOKS I PUSHED PEOPLE TO READ/THAT THEY ASSOCIATE WITH ME
I just LOVE the first two books so much and it makes me so happy that people have read them because of me!! Neither are actually new reads of mie from this year, but I pushed the agenda hard so I’m glad it’s paid off!!!!! Final Draft I feel I’ve just yelled about so much people read it and associate it with me which I honestly adore!!! It’s the best compliment to hear someone read a book because of you and I cry a little when people tell me 🥺🥺
Darius the Great is Not Okay is another book I simply love and I’m so so glad people associate it with me or have read it because of me!! The other books shown are others people have said they associate with or have read because of me ❤ you forever have my heart xx
BEST NEW SERIES
- Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus is probably my top new series (technically two but they’re the same really) of the year!!! I have fallen for the Seven and I truly think they are new comfort books of mine!! I have to read the Kane Chronicles and Trials of Apollo next year because I.. have, admittedly, become a little obsessed with Rick Riordan books.
- The Gilded Wolves is another new favourite series of mine, as I read it and fell in love with it and the sequel instantly. I can’t wait for the third book next year, and to see how the story ends.
- Feverwake is on this list even though I started it last year!! I read The Electric Heir this year, and the duology is on my favourites for sure, and you should definitely pick it up if you haven’t already!!!
- All For The Game is my last new favourite, which I read in May and have since gone completely feral over it and am unable to stop thinking about it!!! I need to stop!!!
BOOKS TO REREAD IN 2021
I have so many books I want to reread!! I’m going to do a series reread of TRC, AFTG, and SOC for sure, and I’ll probably end up rereading quite a few others – see the covers above!!! The Memory Book is only on there because I’m tempted to reread and do a rant review……. but I don’t know if I can put myself through that.
FAVOURITE BOOK COVERS
FAVOURITE NEW QUOTE/S
There’s so many I love, but I think basically any line from The Weight of the Stars can do the trick!! I think these might be my top five though – I took them from my book highlights hehe ❤ 🥺
- “’you’re not getting away from me. never again.’ ‘as long as we’re together.’” — rick riordan, the mark of athena
- “’thank you.’ he couldn’t say he meant thanks for all of it: the keys, the trust, the honesty and the kisses. hopefully andrew would figure it out eventually. ‘you were amazing.’” — nora sakavic, the kings men
- “a drop of water gleamed on ayla’s lower lip. strangely, it made crier want to— drink.” — nina varela, crier’s war
- “people think that intimacy is about sex. but intimacy is about truth. when you realise you can tell someone your truth, when you can show yourself to them, when you stand in front of them bare and their response is ‘you’re safe with me’- that’s intimacy.” — taylor jenkins reid, the seven husbands of evelyn hugo
- “you looked like… the whole world was built just so that you could walk on it. who could look away from that? who would want to?” — kayla ancrum, the weight of the stars
- Percy and Annabeth from Percy Jackson and the Olympians!!! I just love them okay!!!
- Neil and Andrew from The Foxhole Court!!! Their entire dynamic!!! I am in love with them!!!
- Nirrim and Sid from The Midnight Lie – purely because of the line ‘I can’t be good to you’ ‘Then be bad’ which has made me INSANE.
- Ryann and Alexandria from The Weight of The Stars!! Their romance – and, honestly, the other romance from the other timeline – I am never getting over it.
- Noam and Dara from The Fever King!! This!!! I recently read the novella about them (The Stars and Everything in Between) and it almost made me CRY I love it so much!!!!! Yes I know I read it for the first time last year but I read the sequel and novellas this year it counts!!!
- June and Day from Legend is not a new ship…. but since I cried over it this year it deserves to make this list!!!!!!!!!
FAVOURITE NON-ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS
- Evelyn and Harry from The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo ❤
- The Foxes from All For The Game (this is 100% my favourite on this list!!!!!)
- The friendship squad in The Weight of The Stars
- Level IV and the others in The Electric Heir
- The spaceship squad (yes that’s what I’m calling them now) from On A Sunbeam
- The soccer team in Darius the Great Deserves Better!!
BOOK/S YOU READ ON A RECOMMENDATION
Many many MANY books!! Most books I read are because of friends or bloggers – but some specifics are below!!
The Gilded Wolves came so highly on Ash talking about it and I love her so much!! I knew immediately it would be good because her taste is impeccable and I was right!!! Memo recommended I Am Out With Lanterns to me and I adored that (she also always takes my recommendations and I definitely owed her), and along with most of you screamed at me to read PJO which…… I loved so much. The Song Of Achilles is another one you all told me to read and I liked that too.
BOOK/S THAT MADE YOU CRY
I like, SOBBED over three books, the first being my second reread of Darius the Great is Not Okay (fourth in total, second in 2020). It’s a book that means so much to me and so it’s no surprise I cried. I also recently cried much more than I was expecting in it’s sequel, Darius the Great Deserves Better recently, which also meant a lot to me!!
I also cried in my yearly reread of the legend books (yes I teared up in all of them, what about it!!!), but I sobbed sobbed sobbed over the last 25 pages of Champion and cried a lot in the ending of Rebel!! These are books that mean so much to me and while I’ve never cried in the series before there was just something in the air this year!!! I cried a lot!!! (Not just in books!!!)
NEW FAVOURITE BOOK BLOG/S
I’m not doing new favourites – mostly because I haven’t blog hopped at all and I don’t have any new favourites off the top of my head, but my overall favourites are Ash from Starlight Strands, May from Forever and Everly, Nimika from Wordhaven, Olivia from Purely Olivia, Caitlin from Caitlin Althea, and Aria from Matcha and Memoirs for blogs!!! They’re all so nice I adore them and reading their content always puts a smile on my face ❤ 🥺
FAVOURITE POST/S YOU WROTE
I feel so weird saying this but there’s actually quite a lot?? I’m proud with what I’ve written this year and I hope you enjoyed it too!! I have a lot of plans and content ideas for next year too 🥺🥺🥺
Some others I love are my Percy Jackson Book Tag, June 2020 Recap, and The Stuck At Home Book Tag!! From the period of about May to September I was really proud of every post I put out, so lockdown was good for something hehe.
TOP PRIORITY BOOKS IN 2021
I don’t own any of these but I have some as ebooks and some at libraries and some I will hopefully find!!! I’ve been meaning to get around to these for so long and I hope I like them 🥺🥺🥺
MOST ANTICIPATED BOOKS RELEASING IN 2021
I have a whole list coming out very soon!! However, I have some covers of the ones I’m most excited for above and if you’ve had the chance to read any please tell me how they are so I can live through you!!!
what are some of your favourite books of 2020? any notable reads? are you excited for any specific 2021 releases? have you done this survey? did you also spend far too much time on it?
(hello!!! i’m coming to you from 11pm new year’s eve!!! i just wanted to pop in and say i finished cemetery boys by aiden thomas about an hour and a half ago – definitely a favourite of 2020!! i adored it so much and highly recommend you check it out xxxx happy new year <3)