This post got very long and all I have to say is that this is why you don’t let me use technicalities.
Plus!! I asked you all about the books you liked! Well. Most of you. And there were a lot that were helpful but I kinda forgot that there’s like millions of books out there and I haven’t read all of them. I know, it’s such a disappointment. (I asked here in case you were wondering!)
So y’all left me books and most of them I had no clue about. So, I got the ones that I had read, and then I just pulled some others that are popular/I’ve enjoyed… was this the best way to do things, probably not. Oh well.
I’m going to be putting a major theme or trope or… thing (???? where has my brain gone ????) at the top so you can really get a feel for what the books are like, and then putting the two books below. (I did get very specific/technical with some of these,,,,, whooops)
Also! I’m doing what I should’ve done a long time ago with most of my posts and I’m making this two parts….. so many of my posts have ben 1.5-2.5k (or more…) words recently and it’s not good.
If you’re looking for a light (ish) romance with some politics sprinkled through, these will be your cup of tea. Or coffee. Or water. Whatever your preferred drink is.
I read Yes No Maybe So after a reread of RW&RB and it didn’t completely flop so I’m surprised and really happy!! Becky Albertalli and Aisha Saeed have a really cohesive writing style which I adored. And then Casey McQuiston wrote a beautiful story and their genius is just insane!!! ❤
THINGS TO LOVE ABOUT THESE BOOKS:
- The politics! If you’re into American politics, both of them feature candidates and look at voting/numbers (i’m not a politics person)
- The romance! I love both the ships in this so much, they’re both adorable and very cute ❤
- THE BANTER. Look, RW&RB is known for being quite witty, but the banter in Yes, No, Maybe So is criminally overlooked!!!! I love it so much!!! Jamie and Maya are incredible – it’s a friends > lovers situation… but they don’t exactly meet cute.
- The characters! Everyone in YNMS and RWRB (I hate YNMS’s acronym with every fibre of my being) is just so pure and should be protected at all costs. (except for Rafael Luna, who strangely reminds me of Lehrer from TFK? have no idea why though)
So many people – myself included – are kinda accidentally in love with TRC. The book I’ve matched it with, however, is underhyped but it shouldn’t be! TRC may not always be classified as magical realism, but I’m counting it purely so I can hype WTMWO up!! (If you can’t tell, I read it recently and it’s a favourite of 2020!)
THINGS TO ADORE IN THESE TWO BOOKS:
- Character relationships that are well developed!! The Raven Cycle has one of the most iconic friend groups in YA, with some romance sprinkled in (of course). Now, WTMWO is slow but steady in the relationship development department but Samir and Miel’s relationship is a beautiful constant.
- Siblings that make you want to scream!!! The Lynch brothers and the Bonner sisters just make me so happy (and mad but that’s okay)
- An incredible yet confusing plot line… and by confusing I mean I’m-in-awe-of-the-author’s-genius ❤
These two books HAVE been compared to each other but I promise it’s not a marketing ploy. I just think that even though they’re kinda different, both have a strong found family set out of modern day times with magic!
One is sci-fi and futuristic, while the other is definitely fantasy, but they don’t feel too different?? I mean, I would NOT like to live in Ketterdam (for… obvious reasons) but space would be cool!!
THINGS TO LOVE:
- The found family dynamic in these are so incredible I love them! Both have a beautiful squad that makes me laugh and cry hahaha
- THE BANTER. BANTER AAAAAAAAAAAH
- The adorable romances! ❤ I’m a sucker for the romances in these… but I will admit, in Aurora Rising… there are too many ship possibilities and I lowkey hate it!!
COMING OF AGE… BUT MAKE IT QUEER
These two just scream I’M LIKE THE OTHER ONE okay?? Literally…. I just can’t express my love for these enough – I try to, since I talk about them in almost every post, but nothing can do them justice.
Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets of The Universe and Darius the Great is Not Okay both own my entire heart and I don’t know what else I can say except please read them??
REASONS THEY’RE SIMILAR:
- both feature teens trying to figure out who they are
- both teens go through something big
- both teens meet someone influential in their life
- both are very very sad
- both are very very gay (okay less so in Darius but oh well)
All of the above I love a LOT in books?? So I adore these automatically?? (There’s also talk of not feeling enough Persian or American in Darius and both Ari and Dante feel this way about being Mexican which is so important in YA and I loved it <3)
FLUFFY AND HEARTBREAKING QUEER CONTEMPORARIES
Look for me, both of these are just pure fluff while also being very very heartbreaking? Honestly if you’re looking for something that will break your heart but also give it the happy fuel it needs right now.. both of these will work.
Heartstopper is available to read here for free and I Wish You All The Best… ❤ I love both of these. IWYATB owns my heart a little more but I simply can’t recommend both of them enough!!!!!
I don’t know why I associate these with each other in particular because… I literally read so many fluffy and heartbreaking queer contemporaries and they’re literally my favourite type of book… but uh, I guess these two work PARTICULARLY well??? (The heartbreaking part is pretty minor in both, but it’s still there!!!)
HISTORICAL FICTION: TOURING EUROPE
These two are NOTHING alike except for ONE major thing but you know!! I’m totally not matching them because they’re like the only two historical fiction books I’ve read!! (that’s a lie of course I am)
Both of these give us a really good sense of Europe in the 17-1800’s!! (They also feature kickbutt girls with their slightly annoying brothers but that’s irrelevant since I adore Monty in a weird loveable way and kinda hate Wolfgang.. aka Mozart you know that really famous dad composer guy?? Him.)
If you have any historical fiction recs for me please!! I want them!!
DISASTER WRITER KIDS
Autoboyography and Final Draft both have EXCELLENT teen writers who… have no idea what they’re doing and make bad decisions. Tanner, Seb, and Laila are all INCREDIBLE and my heart belongs to everyone. (YAFP is coming…)
This is featured less in Autoboyography but in Final Draft (and You Asked For Perfect,,,, read that too) perfectionism and academic struggle is talked about a lot so…. if that’s something you’re into go for your life!!
Both also talk a bit about questioning sexuality and navigating crushes on people who you definitely shouldn’t like, but at the same time it hurts not to. You get the vibe? (It’s a fun one!!!)
I love both of these so much and can’t recommend them enough. They’re the perfect books to close the first half on ❤
do you love any of these tropes/themes/let’s-be-honest-they’re-just-random-things?? any recs for me? any other themes/things you’d like to see in a part two? (i’ve already written most of it.. but give them to me anyway)