Can I just say that June was absolutely amazing???
Like,,,, I loved it a Lot!!! I thought it was going to be one of my worst months but it got so so so much better!!
It was definitely hard at times but overall I had an incredible month, and I hope you did too!! (also this post got REALLY long and I’m REALLY sorry)
- I reread a lot!!!! The couple that I didn’t reread were also excellent however :))
- I CONVINCED A FRIEND TO READ A LOT OF MY FAVOURITE BOOKS. She read TRC, The Foxhole Court (hasn’t gotten the second two books yet… should i lend her my copy or not that is the question??), Autoboyography, and Ari and Dante and I just love her so much for that thank you!!! (She liked them all and sent me a lot of out-of-context messages).
- I got Goodreads and am trying (and failing) to figure out how to use it… it’s basically just another place for me to record my books since I wanted a better and more precise system than a notebook with star ratings and a short comment – obviously I’m not going to start writing full length reviews (we all know how much i love that) but the shelves intrigued me !! Still deciding whether I keep the notebook as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- I’ve also been rerating a lot of books when I’m doing this which is really interesting!! I write ‘revised rating’ but I’m wondering if I shouldn’t…. it’s basically me roasting my reading taste for so many books !!! I’ve been marking a lot of books 2 stars which I don’t think is a bad rating anymore!! (Even though I explored my rating system with stars really recently??) They’re more books I’ve grown out of, or would go back and not enjoy at all. (Like, I rated Lady’s Guide 3.5 when that should 100% be at least a BIT lower!!) Anyway, it’s been fun so far ❤ I’ve added like 90 books…. only 100 or so to go!
- ALSO I DONT CARE THAT THIS HAPPENED IN JULY WE’RE GETTING AN ARI AND DANTE SEQUEL IM ACTUALLY LOSING IT SOMEONE SCREAM WITH ME PLEASE
Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets Of The Universe, Benjamin Alire Saenz // fourth time reading!! // wow i love this book so much ahhhh how // read my review here // ★★★★★
I Wish You All The Best, Mason Deaver // second read // i loved this MORE than the first time somehow and just… i think it might be a five star?? but i’m not sure?? ajdgksdj nathan my sunshine child // ★★★★☆ (4.5 at least but maybe 5?)
Final Draft, Riley Redgate // third read // means the world to me, but for different reasons than it used to ❤ i love laila and hannah and felix and leo SO MUCH my heart breaks // ★★★★★
The Song Of Achilles, Madeline Miller // a little disappointing because i was expecting GREATNESS and possibly a new FAVOURITE but i got something that bored me a lot for the first 50%, got instantly better at 90%, still loved though <33 PATROCLUS AND BRISEIS OWN MY HEART // ★★★★☆
When The Moon Was Ours, Anna Marie McLemore // this took me forever to read but i love them all a lot so i don’t really care!! (i even don’t mind the Bonner sisters) and i added that half star for prose because i adored that // ★★★★☆ [4.5]
I was incredibly lucky and got books for my birthday AND some vouchers which I have yet to use!! I’m very fortunate to be in a position where I can regularly purchase books – and my extended family knows me very well and gets my vouchers a LOT.
For those who don’t know (and, I’m not sure how you couldn’t realise by now) I read AFTG at the start of May, and while it is deeply awful and I hate it with every bone in my body, my heart unfortunately doesn’t agree and forces it into my brain once a day?? I ended up buying the books (there’s actually a really funny story behind the purchasing time but it’s long and complex and i won’t bore you) because I knew I’d want to reread them. They turned up earlier than I was expecting!! With a couple of dints but they’re MINE and I have no more excuses as to why I shouldn’t reread except for the fact that… I’ll go into a slump again. (I’ve been reading 4-6 books a month for AGES now and it’s killing me!! I used to read 20 easy no problem!!)
^^That was long, whoops.
I’m too passionate about this series even when I’m not even talking directly about it because THAT could be a whole post.
I also got some great books from my parents!! Some of these I’ve been wanting to read for MONTHS now and I’m actually getting to them? Incredible. I also bought The Mighty Heart of Sunny St James on the last day of June which I haven’t gotten to yet but it looks amazing!!! The Henna Wars, The Electric Heir, The Weight Of The Stars, and The Stars And The Blackness Between Them are all books I’ve been wanting to read for a while now and I’m super excited for them <33
They are all very gay (most are sapphic and have an f/f romance but TEH is m/m!!) and therefore I say: gay rights for the end of Pride honey!!) (also the blue and pink things are notebooks…. not more books lmao)
- I POSTED SO MUCH. I mean…. I’m still shocked that it actually worked out because it didn’t feel like I was posting much but every five days is better than barely once a week!!!
- I’m aiming for every four days this month (probably back to five by August) which will be a challenge but I think I’ll do it!! It means seven posts which is kind of insane to me but I’m going to do it!! If it takes writing shorter posts
which it better not i don’t think i can do thatI’ll make it. somehow all my posts are like 2-3k words now?? who am i??
- Plus, I scheduled a lot of June’s posts and figured out all my content until the end of AUGUST!!!!
- I wanted to post a Black queer recs list but unfortunately didn’t get around to it — it’s coming this month sometime!!! It’s sitting in my drafts :)) at the moment since I’m actually organising my blogging it’s coming out around the middle/beginning.
- I’ve decided I’m going to start trying to use my own photos in images!! Book covers, of course, are unrealistic, but for the title images/other photos I hope I can use mine!! I take quite a few and have nowhere else to use them…. keep me accountable for this please!!! (I did it for this one and my last post)
- Nobody attacked me on my Pride recs post unlike last year and people were very friendly so I’m happy!!! (Still taking recs, as always)
I’ve been meaning to do this forever but this month it’s actually happening!!!
- May gave us an AMAZING post on 50+ books by QPOC about QPOC and it would’ve taken forever?? But it’s such an incredible resource and I adore so many of those books and have been meaning to get to others!!!
- Anna and Charlotte over at Reads Rainbow started a new series and in their first post I saw so many books I love and now have a growing TBR pile again…. whoops? Apparently this is how people feel when they leave my blog….. I’ve never understood the pain, I am truly sorry ;))
- Olivia posted her summer bucket list that I love more than words can say!!! (She’s planning to read 35 books which I am in awe of and I wish you all the best Olivia!!!)
- Ilsa did the pancake book tag and made me really hungry… not to mention gave me some incredible books to read. (also she used the pikachu meme i live for the pikachu meme)
- Lu from It’s Lu Again talked about what inspires comments!!! (also bracket appreciation).
I also want to thank you all – I added so many queer books to my list of books to read because of about a million recommendation posts but I appreciated them all!!! Send all the recommendations my way please!!
ALSO!!!!! The 2020 Book Blogger Awards are happening again so get your nomination posts up and support May and Marie, who are hosting this incredible initiative. i would FOREVER be thankful if you nominated me…. no pressure though i would die ❤ Mine will be up in a couple of weeks!!!
- I saw some friends and family and all in all had an amazing time! There was a little sadness since one of them is moving but I loved seeing everyone and hanging out? I saw a few people last month but agh I love my friends a LOT!!
- ^^^ looking above.. one night i stayed over with some friends and uh, we may have stayed up until 3.30am and only woken up at 7am 😀
- in fact looking above i’m watching a couple of friends read this very post…. i love y’all if you can see this
- I went back to school!! This was definitely a change since I was at home for two months but it was an okay change??
- HOLIDAYS STARTED. I had to get through a few weeks of physical school which was kind of a nightmare but it’s over now!!! I also got my semester grades back and did better than I was expecting so that was a nice surprise!!
- I had to do a French oral without prompting and ugh. I’m so dropping French when I can. I don’t think I did too badly but I just hate it??
- I just had the best month in so many ways – and I think partly that was due to May being… not so great looking at my mental health and things, but June was a definite improvement!!!
- I wrote some things and normally I don’t share poetry on my blog (because most of them are very sad and very personal and nobody reads them except for me (the only people who read my poems anyway are me and two friends sooooo) no way am I sharing those here) but since this month I wrote some less sad things and when I’ve mentioned it before people have been interested? So here you go? (PLEASE don’t steal/copy/pass off as your own… but really that applies to everything here :)) These aren’t all from this month but they’re just a collection.
POEM SNIPPETS I GUESS
long ponytail swishing like thickshakes you can get from the diner downtown. that you could get from the diner downtown if we were in an american movie. i think our friendship is a bit like an american movie. up so fast, the peak reaching and we didn’t stop. we couldn’t appreciate it. but then we were silent on the way down the roller coaster. everyone around us screamed but we stayed silent.
i first saw you, and you held my gaze. at that point two tables away but you held my gaze and in that moment when i had no one else, that gaze was the only thing holding me together.
you split my heart in two / clean break / now a clean slate / without you.
you don’t care about me / you never really cared about me / i was just a toy / something you dropped when you got bored / but i’ll still be waiting / not moving / from where you put me down.
because just a few years apart / and a whole life can change / and the person who once knew you the best can know nothing so easily / a bit like a fish and their memory / only seconds are years / and memories are people / people who are replaceable to you / but you aren’t replaceable to them / and you are irreplaceably special / to me.
two years ago i was enjoying freedom / naive girl / you know so little yet you love so much / be careful / i was happy / soaring up and up like a ride at a carnival / the ones i’m too scared to go on / i hope in three years i’m not as scared / hope i get to live my life
i hope in three years the friends i eventually made don’t become medicine / don’t have to force hanging out with them down my throat / i hope that in the next three years i get my firsts / my first loves / first kisses / first pet / hope i get the firsts that so many people look forward to / get the firsts that i find hard but others find easy / hope i find them easy too at some point soon
all the rain falling outside runs down the bus window. it looks like tears. i wonder if my tears look that pretty.
I’m gonna stop with the poem snippets now…. I may have gone overboard :)) there’s another one I’m really proud (hi. you know who you are. i threw that in there just for you.) of but I do NOT particularly want to share that one!!!
- I celebrated my birthday!!! (I also got my locker decorated at school and I am still shaking from it but I love it thank you!!)
- We started/finished watching Never Have I Ever and finished B99 which were both good!! NHIE was very cringey and predictable at times but like…. it’s still good? And B99 was just hilarious and I’m lowkey in love with all of them!! NHIE also got very emotional near the end and I predicted the ending!! (It does touch me though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
should i lend my book/s out? (and do you?) do you write poetry sometimes/ever? (would you ever share it heh?) have you had a decent june?